Who We Are
DIAKONIA offers an international and ecumenical community of diaconal friendship, connecting us in diversity and commonality.
DIAKONIA broadens our worldview and deepens our sense of diaconal vocation.
DIAKONIA reminds the church of God’s call to service, justice, compassion, and peace for creation, and assists us in living out our ministries in the world with vision and hope.
The church is not the church without diakonia.
DIAKONIA World Federation:
- reflects on the nature and task of diakonia in the biblical context
- links and gathers those who are engaged in diaconal work worldwide
- encourages, supports and empowers the development of groups doing diaconal work
- is a living experience of ecumenical relationships
Membership consists of associations, organizations and communities of deaconesses, deacons, diaconal brothers and sisters, diaconal ministers and other church workers.
DIAKONIA World Federation
- furthers the understanding of the diaconate
- provides a network of mutual relationships crossing church traditions and cultural boundaries
- strengthens a sense of community and understanding among all member organizations
- encourages member organizations to explore their diaconal calling
- provides a forum for discussion of diaconal issues including social justice and reconciliation
- organizes a world assembly, typically every four years