The Purpose and History of DIAKAID
As an organization, DIAKONIA is committed to the scriptural mandate to “love mercy, seek justice and walk humbly with our God.” (Micah 6:8) By working together, DIAKONIA furthers the gospel imperative toward mutual relationships of respect and solidarity with the “least of these” (Matthew 25).
Before the actual formation of DIAKAID, DIAKONIA had taken action to provide financial aid to deaconess communities and diaconal projects. By 1970 the name DIAKAID was chosen and a decision was made to consider applications every year.
See examples of DIAKAID projects here.
- Applications must be made by a member organisation. The project may be under the control of a church/community/agency but one or more members of the diaconal organisation must be involved in the project in a significant way. A maximum of €5,000 may be requested per year.
- An Application Form is available from the Regional President or the Secretary of DIAKONIA and must be completed.
- Those who make a successful application must provide annual project reports and financial statements to the DIAKONIA Executive Committee through the Regional President. Upon completion of the project, a final report must be provided along with photos of the project. The report will be filed with the secretary.
- Priority for funding will be given to projects which:
- assist those who are most in need;
- enable people to take control of their own lives;
- involve diaconal workers.
- Applications will be considered for the following projects:
- development projects (staffed by diaconal workers) to assist and empower;
- scholarships, seminars, training programmes;
- equipment and supplies needed to carry out projects, excluding capital investments.
- Annual funding is available for up to three years. Reports must be received each year by March 1st to ensure continued funding. Projects should be planned so that they will be completed or other funding available.
- It should be noted that the DIAKONIA Executive Committee agreed that ALL DIAKAID applications need to be received by the Regional President by March 1st in a calendar year. Decisions about the distribution of funding will be based on how much money is available in the DIAKAID budget when applications are considered by the Executive Committee when it meets in the middle of each year (in 2017, this will be 23rd-28th June). Successful applicants will receive funding from 1st September each year.
For further information about DIAKAID, please contact your Regional President.
Application Procedures for DIAKAID
- Discuss your project idea concept with the Regional President.
- Complete the Application Form and send to the Regional President for review. ALL applications need to be received by the Regional President by March 1st.
- The application will be presented to the DIAKONIA Executive Committee at the yearly meeting for decision.
- Immediately following the Executive Committee meeting, the Regional Presidents communicate the decision to those who have made applications.
- Once a project is approved a schedule is established for beginning the project and payment of funds and should be completed between the project manager, the Regional President and the treasurer. Successful applicants will be required to provide banking details, citing a designated official to receive the money and banking information to receive the transfer of funds.
The Emergency Fund is available in times of natural disasters or other emergencies, which seriously affect the work of our member organisations.
- Requests are made directly to the Regional President.
- The Regional President will assess the situation to assure that DIAKAID funding will not duplicate other funding and contact the President and the Treasurer for decision.
- The Regional President will contact the applicant concerning the decision made.
- The recipients should provide a written report to the Regional President within six months after receiving the funds. The report will be filed with the secretary.